Positioned high above the bustling crowds in Newcastle upon Tyne are colourful space invader mosaics which often go unnoticed by visitors or locals.
The most recent invasion was in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Other locations include Paris, New York and Mombassa.
Newcastle Space Invaders
Five space invader mosaics are listed on the Space Invaders official website for Newcastle
- Eldon Lane in the centre of the city.
- Located in the center of the city, on the central bus station pillar, Pilgrim Street
- A Space Invader on a Union Flag – On Pink Lane
- Bright yellow tiles with a black outline feature on a bridge support
- On a stone bridge pillar – Dean St and Side
However a number of others seem to have appeared since the first invasion according to a number of other websites.
- High Bridge, Newcastle – next to the old entrance to Waygood Gallery.
- Above the newsagent on the corner of Pudding Chare, off the Bigg Market, Newcastle.
- Northumberland Street, Newcastle.
- The steps walking up to The Sage Gateshead from Baltic Square.
- Next to Waterstone’s, near Grey’s Monument, Newcastle.
- Above Heartbreak Soup on the Newcastle Quayside
- In The Baltic, Gateshead, on the side of the stairs.On the corner of Pink Lane and Westgate Road opposite Cross Street.
- Next to the Quayside below the railings on the side of the Baltic Flour Mill.
- Stowell Street in China Town – link
Confusion on the streets
It seems as if some confusion exists as to where all of the space invaders are in Newcastle. Have any been lost to history?
Some websites indicate that possibly mosaics were installed as part of an Urban Art exhibition and others that ‘Invader’ came back to the city to finish off his work.
Can you help. Let us know via the comments area below or via the contact us form .