Sanquhar monument

Sanquhar, situated in the northwestern part of the county of Dumfriesshire is, from the casual observer,  yet another town on the busy A76 commuter route to Kilmarnock. However, if the time is taken to stop and to stretch ones legs, you can find a wealth of history.

Sanquhar monument

Sanquhar monument

Blue plaque detailing the Sanquhar Monument

Blue plaque detailing the Sanquhar Monument

Half way along the High Street, just elevated above the road is a monument called the Cameron Monument.

The grey granite memorial was erected in 1860 on a site not far from it’s present location, marking the the site of the original market cross of Sanquhar.

On the 22nd June 1680, Rev. Richard Cameron and his followers rode on horseback into the town and affixed to the cross their declaration disowning Charles II as King.

This symbolic demonstration, essentially a declaration of war, was among the first of a series of events that led to what is called the Glorious Revolution and the end of the reign of the House of Stuart.

This act of defiance resulted in the battle of Airds Moss    and the death of Richard Cameron on the 20th of July 1680.

The second declaration was made at the same place almost five years later by Rev. James Renwick in 1685.

He was executed, by hanging, at the Grassmarket, Edinburgh, 17th February 1688

Innscription on the Cameron Memorial

Inscription on the Cameron Memorial

 In 2006, the monument was moved back very slightly from its original site and saw it incorporated within a raised walkway and retaining wall on the north side of the High Street.

A time capsule was placed within its base, to be opened in 2206.




More information

Sanquhar – Gazetteer for Scotland

The Covenanting Wars ‘The Killing Time’ – Future Museum

About Richard Cameron – Electric Scotland




Learn more …


%d bloggers like this: